Chief Underwriting Officer – Core Commercial
Sun Prairie, WI
Arrowhead Core Commercial is looking for an experienced and innovative Chief Underwriting Officer. As a key member of the leadership team, the CUO will be responsible for underwriting results focusing on long term profitability and growth. This position will be responsible for working with our partner carrier in managing and ensure compliance with the Underwriting Guidelines. As well, a key part of this role will be leading portfolio management – tracking growth, rate, retention and ultimately profitability. As an innovative program manager, Arrowhead Core Commercial will be looking to the future and how we can better deliver Small Commercial Insurance solutions to Small Businesses. We will be looking for creative and innovative ways to better serve our Agents and Customers through Insurtech innovations and leveraging Digital Distribution channels of the future.
Arrowhead Core Commercial Division is part of Arrowhead General Insurance Agency Inc., a Brown & Brown Insurance company. The Core Commercial Division is the program administrator for QBE’s Property & Casualty Small Commercial business. Arrowhead has been an innovator in the programs industry for nearly four decades through its focus on technology, product creation, and customer satisfaction, and has had a successful relationship with QBE for more than 20 years as program administrator in other business segments.
Arrowhead Core Commercial offers a benefits and compensation package that meets today’s most important needs and includes:
- A challenging and stimulating career that provides growth and development.
- Group medical, dental, vision, HSA, life, and disability benefits.
- Paid time off and a 401(k) retirement plan as well as an Employee Stock Purchase Plan that allows our employees to purchase Brown & Brown stock at a discounted rate.
If you want to be part of a solid organization that is energetic and growing, contact us today.
- In collaboration with Carrier Partner, sets underwriting strategy, policy, and procedures for selection of risk.
- Manages and oversees the account review process and develop the staff necessary in the underwriting unit to achieve underwriting goals.
- Delegates specific underwriting authority by product and supervises the limit of authority granted to the various underwriters.
- Ensures sound underwriting decisions through a robust audit process and training.
- Develops carrier relationships, oversight of quotation process, and maintenance of management reporting necessary to support the underwriting unit.
- Coordinates new product development and product refinement working together with Claims, Compliance, Product team and Underwriting. This will require interaction with carrier partner and other carriers.
- Monitors key performance indicators for new business and renewals – rate, retention, sold to benchmark and overall profitability.
- Manages and oversees total results for the company and necessary underwriting standards and plans to achieve overall company objectives for all lines of business.
- Supervises education of staff to enhance skills in underwriting as well as market knowledge and mentors underwriters and administrative staff.
- Collaborates with Arrowhead Systems/IT team to ensure that systems functionality supports key compliance, underwriting criteria and critical guidelines for each line of business.
- Active member of the ACC Leadership team involved in strategy setting and overall strategy execution.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least ten years of experience in underwriting property and casualty products in insurance industry and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Multi-line experience in underwriting including knowledge of underwriting manuals and rate and form filing.
- Experience and knowledge in multi-line product forms, development, and design.
- Good network of contacts to peers at reinsurers and insurers.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and possess an acceptable motor vehicle record at the time of hire and periodically thereafter.
- Must maintain the minimum acceptable insurance coverages and limits as defined by Arrowhead/Brown & Brown.
- CPCU and/or CIC Designation preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We take pride in the diversity of our team and seek diversity in our applicants.
Location: Sun Prairie